We aim to give the children the best possible education, foster a love of learning and develop academic and social skills in a safe, supportive and caring environment, where individuals are valued. Our curriculum comprises all of the learning experiences that we carefully plan for the children to enable them to enjoy, learn, achieve; giving them a strong foundation for life. In this section you will be able to find out how we organise and enrich the curriculum and how highly we value effective teaching and learning.
Our Quality First Teaching
School staff have agreed that the following remian are priority to ensure quallity first teaching is delivered at Somerville which will ensure that our curriculum is delivered effectively.
1. Pupils who need more support than others are identified quickly and receive early intervention to help them maintain their progress.
2. Expectations are high and progress is made by all.
3. Teaching is lively, engaging and involves a carefully planned blend of approaches that direct pupils' learning.
4. Pupils know they can discuss, use resources and seek help as and when they need to in order to promote independence
Our curriculum comprises all of the learning experiences that we plan for the children to enable them to enjoy, learn and achieve. We aim to ensure that the curriculum:
- Reflects our high expectations and promotes our school values 'Putting Pupils First'.
- Is broad and balanced allowing pupils to develop a range of skills and acquire knowledge and understanding
- Is enriched with exciting and enjoyable opportunities and experiences
- Promotes spiritual, social, moral and cultural development
- Enables children to develop their talents and interests
- Prepares children for the next steps in their education and for their future lives as workers and citizens
Essential skills for learning and foundations for life
At Somerville Primary School we place great emphasis on equipping children with essential skills, that help to support their personal development and learning across all subjects. These skills are part of our everyday curriculum and routines. The skills apply to every age and stage of learning.
These essential skills are:
- Literacy skills (reading, writing, phonics, spelling, handwriting)
- Numeracy skills (using and applying numbers)
- Information Communication Technology skills (computer skills)
- Communicating effectively (speaking clearly and listening with concentration)
- Learning independently and working collaboratively
- Improving own learning and performance
- Problem Solving
- Enterprise, innovation and creativity
The personal skills we strive to develop:
- A positive attitude and desire to learn
- Curiosity and imagination
- Independence, organisation and self motivation
- Resilience and determination
- A sense of achievement and self-worth
- Respect for self, others and the environment
At Somerville Primary School we follow the Statutory Framework for the early years foundation stage, and the National Curriculum at Key Stage 1 and 2. This means that parents and carers can be confident that children have learnt core knowledge and developed their skills and understanding within a wide range of subjects and topics, in preparation for their transition to secondary school.
The Foundation Stage
The curriculum for children in our foundation classes is based on the following areas of learning:
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Communication, language and literacy
- Mathematical development
- Knowledge and understanding of the world
- Physical development
- Creative development
Key Stages 1 and 2
Our curriculum is organised to ensure that all the National curriculum subjects are taught. Subjects may be taught individually, or within a topic.
The subjects the children learn are; English, Mathematics, Science, Religious Education, Information and Communication Technology (ICT), Physical Education, Personal, Social and Health Education, Citizenship, Geography, History, Art and Design, Design and Technology, Music and Modern Foreign Languages (MFL).
Enriching Our School Curriculum
The Enrichment Programme
We take pride in offering a rich and vibrant curriculum with specialist teachers in Art, Music, PE, Dance, ICT and Outdoor Learning. This means that all year groups have the opportunity to learn and develop skills in many different areas.
The curriculum is further enhanced with blocked weeks and themed days to enable in depth study in a particular area.
Themed days are planned to enrich and bring topics alive. This has included dressing up as a Victorian and experiencing life in a Victorian School, dressing as a soldier or worker and experiencing life during World War 1. Our parent information sheet tells you what we have planned for each term. This is also supplemented with a regular newsletter to keep you informed.
Visits and Visitors
We plan visits to enhance and consolidate the learning that takes place in school and we regularly invite visitors in to school to share their expertise with the children. Throughout the year children have regular opportunities to see live professional productions and work with musicians and performers.