Children from birth to five have their own Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation StageEarly Years This document informs our Nursery Curriculum and offers children the opportunity to learn through a wide range of fun, practical experiences where children can observe, explore, discover and communicate in both the indoor and outdoor learning environments.
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) has many aspects to it. Below are the four key principles that underpin our practice at Somerville Nursery School.
- A Unique Child: Every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured
- Positive Relationships: Children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships.
- Enabling Environments: Children learn and develop well in enabling environments with teaching and support from adults, who respond to their individual interests and needs and help them to build their learning over time. Children benefit from a strong partnership between practitioners and parents and/or carers.The environment plays a key role in supporting and extending children's development and learning.
- Learning and Development: The importance of learning and development - all areas of Learning and Development are equally important and inter-connected.. Children develop and learn at different rates. Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates.
The seven areas of learning and development are:
- Communication and Language(CL)
- Physical Development (PD)
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development (PSED)
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design
Below are some key documents relating to the curriculum at the nursery.
Files to Download
EYFS_framework_-_March_2021.pdf What-to-expect-in-the-EYFS-A guide for Parents Somerville Nursery School Curriculum document 2021.pdf core stories F1 autumn term.pdf core stories F1 spring term.pdf Maths development in F1.pdf Core stories 2s autumn term.pdf Core stories 2s spring term.pdf Maths development in 2s.pdf