Our Local Area
On Poulton Road at “Somerville” Somerville Elementary School was erected in 1822. Albert W. Heap was the Headmaster of the Boys’ School and Miss Delany was Headmistress of the Girls School. The Mixed Juniors were in the care of Mrs. Lawson and Miss. M.A. Bidwell looked after the infants.
Somerville gets its name from a house of that name (‘Somerville House’). It was built by James Fisher about 1850/60 and stood between where Hallville Road and Mollington Road is. The large houses on the bend of the road were built not long after.